Before going to the recipe, this happens to be my 100th post. It has taken almost two and a half years to reach this milestone. I know it’s been very slow going, but I am really happy I have finally reached my 100th post. I am thankful to all my readers and well wishers who continuously encouraged me to blog regularly and a big thanks to my class mate and best friend Bharathy who inspired me to start blogging. Thank you so much because without the support from all you guys I would have never reached this milestone.
Banana Cake with Penuche Frosting
Recipe source: Better Homes & Gardens “Cooking for Today Cakes” book
2 ½ cups All purpose flour
1 ½ cups granulated Sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
2/3 cup butter milk or sour milk*
½ cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla essence
Penuche Frosting (recipe follows)
Chopped Nuts (optional)
- Grease a 13x9x2 –inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add bananas, buttermilk or sour milk, shortening and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till combined. Add eggs, beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour in to prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350F (180C) oven about 35 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Frost with Penuche Frosting. Immediately sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired.
- Makes 12 to 16 servings.
1/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp milk
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- In a medium sauce pan melt 1/3 cup butter or margarine over medium heat.
- Stir in 2/3 cup packed brown sugar.
- Cook and stir till bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Add 3 tbsp milk, beating vigorously till smooth.
- By hand, beat in enough sifted powdered sugar (about 2 ½ cups) to make frosting of spreading consistency.
- Frost cake immediately.
*Note: For sour milk, place 2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup. Add enough whole milk to make 2/3 cup.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox