Fatayer is an Arabic Pie stuffed with spinach, cheese, chicken, lamb or za'atar and like Shawarma it is a commonly available street food across the Arab world. Here at a walking distance from our flat there is an Arabic restaurant from where we regularly buy fatayer and shawarma. Chicken and cheese fatayer are our favorite filling. I actually do not know what paste they mix with the boiled and shredded chicken, if it is feta cheese or labneh or white sauce….. I usually use white sauce but mixing the chicken with lebneh is equally good. My little one loves fatayer so I sometimes make these at home. Here’s how...
Chicken Fatayer(Recipe Source ~ Arabic Bites)
2 1/3 cups flour, unbleached, whole wheat, or a mixture of the two
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm milk
3 Tablespoons oat flour
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of mixer ,beat 10 minutes to make a soft dough.
- Cover and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 32 pieces. Roll each to a 9 cm round.
- Fill each with 1-2 Tablespoons of chicken filling (or with the filling of your choice).
- Place Fatayer onto oven trays.
- Bake at 375 F about 20 minutes or until browned.
For the Chicken Filling:
(My own recipe)(This filling is enough for about 15 fatayer or half amount of Fatayer recipe given above)
2 chicken breasts cubed
2 garlic cloves, sliced
Salt and pepper powder to taste
For the white sauce:
Butter -2 tbsp
All purpose flour/ Maida -2 tbsp
Milk -1 cup
Salt - to taste
- Cook chicken breasts with garlic, ginger, pepper powder and enough salt, and when cool run in a food processor and keep aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Whisk in milk and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Lower the flame and add chicken and adjust the seasoning. Turn off the flame.
- The filling should be of a spreadable consistency.
This easy chicken filling has many uses which I am sure kids will love. If you get more ideas please let me know J….
- As a filing in fatayer.
- To make sandwiches or burgers, kids love these in their tiffin box.
- You can easily convert the filling into chicken rolls or chicken nuggets; make the mixture into desired shapes, dip each in to beaten egg white and then coat with bread crumbs and fry.
- Spread some inside chapathi, roll it and serve with ketchup.
- On top of dosa as chicken dosa…
Also to Food palette series brown event by Torview.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox