Part-3 of my Papaya/ Kappalanga/Omakka Series....
Kappalangaum (Omakkaum) Payarum Thoran (Stir Fried Raw Papaya & Red Gram with Coconut)
Kappalanga/Omakka (RawPapaya) -1/2 medium, chopped fine
Vanpayar (Red Gram)-1/2 cup
Freshly grated coconut- 1/2cup
Chumannulli (Shallots) -8-10nos ( or Onion -1 small)
Dry red chilles-3-4 nos
Garlic - 2clove
Jeerakom (Cumin Seeds)-1/2tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds - 1/4tsp
Curry Leaves- a spring
Oil - 1tsp
- Pressure cook vanpayar (red gram) with enough water and salt and keep aside.
- Peel skin and remove seeds inside the papaya.
- Clean it well and finely chop/ grate it. (I used my food processer to chop the papaya).
- Ground coarsely, coconut, shallots, dry red chilies, garlic, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and salt.(Also uses food processer for this)
- Heat oil in a frying pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add coarsely ground coconut mixture and curry leaves and sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped papaya and vanpayar (red gram). Mix well, cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Open lid and stir well until all the water in it evaporates.
- Serve hot
Sending this over to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Magpie this month, featuring dishes inspired by Kerala :)...
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox