You will find Jaathi / Nutmeg Tree in the backyard of many homes in Kerala. People usually collect the nutmeg and mace and discard it’s fruity yellow cover. It is really good for making pickle, wine, chammanthi etc.... Back home we used to make a lot of wine and pickle with it. When in season you can collect a lot of these fruits in one or two days and since the fruit won’t stay for long, even inside the fridge, you have to make wine or pickle with it immediately..... Jaathikka Wine tastes really good and this is my hubby’s favorite…. I got some Jaathikka thodu from my sister in laws backyard on my last vacation....Hope you will try this wine when you get a lot of Jaathikka.... I am sure you will enjoy this wine :).....
- Put chopped jaathikka and sugar in a bharani / bottle and add boiling water and mix well.
- When warm sprinkle yeast and mix well.
- When the mixture cools down, tie the bottle with a clean cloth or close with lid little loose.
- Stir this mixture every day for 5 minutes.
- After 20 days, strain the mixture through a cheese/ muslin cloth in to a clean dry bottle.
- Keep this again for 20 days untouched. After 20 days strain the wine again, pour it in to clean dry bottles and use.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox