2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large onions chopped
1 1/2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp seasoned flour
500gm/1 lb boneless chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
1 tbsp tomato paste (puree)
1/2 cup/125ml/4 fl oz red wine
1/2 cup/125ml/4 fl oz chicken stock
3 tbsp natural yogurt
For Sour Cream Crust:
125gm/ 4 ox butter, softened
300gm/ 9 1/2 oz sour cream
1 cup/125gm/4 oz self-raising flour, sifted
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and cook onions, stirring, over a medium heat for 5-6 mints or until golden. Remove onions from pans and set aside. Combine paprika and flour in a plastic bag, add chicken, shake to coat with flour mixture, then shake off excess flour mixture.
- Heat remaining oil in frying pan and cook chicken, stirring, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Return onions to pan, stir in tomato paste (puree), wine and stock. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6-7 minutes, remove pan from heat, stir in yogurt and set aside to cool.
- To make crust, place butter, sour cream and egg in a bowl. Stir in flour and parsley and mix well to combine.
- To assemble place crust mixture in an 8 cup/2 litre/ 3 1/2 pt lightly greased casserole dish and work mixture to cover sides and base of dish.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F. Spoon filling into crust, cover with lid of dish or aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove lid and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Serve this delicious chicken with a tossed green salad or a boiled, steamed or microwaved green vegetables such as green beans, zucchini, snow peas or asparagus.
- Serves 4.
I halved the recipe and I got one full dish like in the picture and it was enough for 2 adults.
Recipe adapted from "Quick and Easy Chicken Dishes" cook book.