Orzo, is a type of short-cut pasta, shaped like a large grain of rice. You can make some delicious salads and soups with orzo. One of our recent favourites is this Creamy Chicken Orzo Soup. It comes together pretty quickly and is very filling too. I only made half the amount of the recipe and it was perfect for all three of us. You can even add mushrooms or celery to this. If orzo is not available you can use mini macaroni or any other type of short cut pasta.
Creamy Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe
(Recipe from here)
Olive oil -2 tbsp
Boneless Chicken breast - 450 gm
Garlic - 1 clove minced
Onion - 1/2 cup, diced
Carrots - 1/2 cup, diced
Dried Sage - 1/4 tsp
Dried Parsley - 1 tsp
Dried Oregano - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp or to taste
Chicken broth – 4 cups
Water - 2 cups
Orzo - 1 cup
Heavy cream – 1 cup
Green onions - 1/4 cup, diced
- In a large pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken breast and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 6-8 minutes per side. Remove from heat and shred.
- In the same pan, add garlic, onions, and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes until aromatic.
- Add in sage, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper and cook until onions are translucent, another 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Add in orzo and cook on a low boil for about 10 -15 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Lower heat and add chicken back in, and heavy cream. Let simmer 5 minutes until bubbly and thickened.
- Top with green onions and serve warm.