One more Indian Bread recipe to my collection....Tried this recipe from “The Big Book of Baking”..../ Actual recipe requires the naan to be baked.... But I cooked it on the stove top on a grilling tawa / skillet instead.... Also I added ground coriander leaves, thus my naan have a slight greenish colour; the original recipe calls for 1 tbsp coriander powder.... My picky eater son really loves this Naan with Butter Chicken or Kashmiri Chicken......
Coriander and Garlic Naan
Preparation Time - 30 Min
Cooking time – 5 Min
Ready in 2 ½ to 3 Hours
Serves – 3-4
280 gm / 10 oz Strong white flour plus extra for dusting (can use All purpose flour/ Maida)
1 tsp Salt
2 tbsp ground coriander leaves or 1 tbsp coriander powder
1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
1 tsp easy-blend dried yeast
2 tsp Honey
100ml / 31/2 fl oz lukewarm water
4 tbsp Yogurt
1 tbsp Vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing (I used Ghee)
1 tsp black onion seeds (I didn’t use it)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Sift the flour and salt together into a bowl and stir in the garlic, ground coriander and yeast. Make a well in the center and pour in the honey, water, yogurt and oil. Stir well with a wooden spoon until the dough begins to come together, and then knead with your hands until it leaves the sides of the bowl. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead well for about 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Brush a bowl with oil. Shape the dough into a ball, put it in the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knock back with your fist. Divide the dough into 6-8 equal sized balls. Cover the balls with a cling film for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll out each balls into a teardrop shape.
- Heat grilling tawa / skillet and cook both sides of Naan on a medium heat. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and onion seeds; brush with butter / ghee / oil and serve with your favorite side dish.
In Picture :Coriander and Garlic Naan and Butter Chicken
Sending this to Susan for YeastSpotting