I was thinking of making this for quite some time and now that pears are in season I decided to go ahead. It turned out to be one of the most elegant and perfect fruit dessert I have made in recent times! Pears cooked in spiced wine will pair with anything you can come up with whether it’s served with a dollop of ice cream, whipped cream, marscapone, crèmefraiche, devonshire cream ,chocolate sauce, custard or as a topping for plain cake, crepes, waffles or simply as it is; truly amazing.... As this can be made and stored ahead it’s a perfect dessert for parties.... You can use either red wine or white wine, store bought or homemade.... Spices can be added according to taste.... I tailor-made this to suit our personal taste..... so you are free to + / - any ingredients..... colour of the poached pears depends upon the colour of wine you use and mine was homemade light red wine, so my pears didn't turn out deep red... try this lovely dessert this season and I am sure you will love it.....
Poached Pears in Homemade Grape Wine
Recipe Source ~ Various internet sites
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Serves ~ 4 to 6
8-10 small Pears
1 ½ cups of red wine (I used Grape wine)
¾ cups of granulated sugar
Juice from 1 orange
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
lemon zest of ½ lemon
Orange zest from 1 orange
2 tsp vanilla essence
1”x2 cinnamon sticks
Pinch of nutmeg
- Peel the pears, leaving stem intact.
- Combine all ingredients, except pears, and bring to a boil.
- Once the wine mixture is boiling, turn heat down to a simmer and add the pears.
- Simmer pears for 10-12 minutes and then turn pears and simmer for an additional 8-10 minutes; until they are tender and are easily poked through with a fork.
- Remove pears and let them cool.
- Boil wine sauce until the liquid has been reduced by half.
- Pour sauce over pears and serve warm or at room temperature.