Idiyappam / Noolappam / String Hopper is a typical Kerala breakfast usually served with different types of curries or even with sugar. It can also be prepared with meat or vegetable stuffing. Since I had some left over Keema Masala, I used it as stuffing. You only need to make the stuffing ahead of time and you can make stuffed Idiyappam for breakfast or dinner quite easily. It can be eaten as is or served with egg roast or kadala curry.
Roasted Rice Flour (Idiyappam flour) – 1 ½ cups
Boiled water – 1 to 1 ¼ cup or as needed
Ghee – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Keema Masala – 1 cup (click here for detailed recipe of how to make Keema Masala)
- Boil water and keep aside for 2 minutes.
- Mix rice flour, ghee and salt well.
- Add boiled water little at a time mixing well with a wooden or silicon spoon or spatula, till the dough is cold enough to touch.
- Knead well to a soft and smooth dough.
- Fill an Idiyappam press with the dough and cover the rest of the dough with a damp cloth.
- Press a layer into idli moulds. Spread 2 tbsp of the prepared Keema Masala over the Idiyappam layer and press out another layer to completely cover the stuffing.
- Make the rounds clean with we fingers and steam in a pressure cooker or in an appachembu (steamer) till Idiyappam is well cooked, about 8-10 mints.
- Serve hot.