Avalose Unda- A traditional sweetened rice balls of Kerala!
Avalose podi-2 1/2 cups
Cardamom (powdered)- 1/4 tsp
Vanilla Essence-1/4 tsp
Water- 1/2 cup
Lime Juice- 1 1/2 tsp
- Mix sugar, water and lime juice in a bowl and keep aside for 8 hours or over night to soak.
- Heat this mixture stirring continuously till we get a single thread consistency on tapping between thumb and forefinger quickly. (You should be very careful at this point not to over cook or the Avalose Unda will be very hard).
- Remove from heat and add vanilla essence and cardamom powder.
- Add 2 cups of avalose podi little by little mixing very well.
- When it is warm enough to touch make lime size balls.
- Coat these balls in the reserved 1/2 cup avalose podi, which helps to make perfect round shape and prevents stickiness.