By now you all know how I love to experiment brewing wine with different fruits or vegetables… Trying out Tomato Wine recipe was in my mind for quite some time and so I made this a year ago… I was curious to know how the taste & colour would turn out… surprisingly the wine tasted nice. It is quite a strong wine… it has a slightly fruity taste and does not really taste like tomatoes… I really love the golden colour… do give it a try and let me know how you guys liked it 😊
Red ripe Tomatoes - 1 kg
Raisins - 175gm
Sugar - 750gm + 250 gm
Water - 3 litres
Yeast - ½ tsp
Lemon zest & lemon Juice from 1 big lemon (You can substitute it with orange zest and orange juice if you wish)
- Boil water and 750 gm sugar and cool it till lukewarm.
- Wash & pat dry the tomatoes. Finely chop or mash tomatoes with a potato masher.
- Add tomatoes & raisins to the warm sugar water.
- Mix well and add yeast, lemon juice & lemon zest. Be very careful not to add any white pith of lemon or orange with the zest.
- Mix all the ingredients well and keep it in an earthen jar (Bharani) or in a glass jar, cover it and leave for 21 days, stirring daily.
- On 22nd day, strain the mixture through a cheese / muslin cloth.
- At this stage if the wine is not sweet enough for your liking, you can add rest of the 250 grams of sugar mix well and keep it again in a clean dry Bharani / glass bottle for another 21 days.
- Strain on the 22nd day bottle and use.
- The taste will be more flavourful if you wait for it to age for two to three months after bottling.