(Adapted from Soma’s e-curry blog)
1.5 Cups Dry Soy Chunks or Nuggets/TVP
2 Garlic Cloves, Mashed
1″ Ginger, Grated
For the coating:
3.5 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Corn Starch/Corn Flour
1 Cup Water
Any other spice if you want to use (Optional)
1 Cup Bread Crumbs
Oil for deep frying
- Boil about 4 Cups of water with mashed garlic and grated fresh ginger. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt & add the soy chunks/nuggets to the water. Cover & Soak for about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the Soy Chunks, and cool. Gently squeeze out some water out of the nuggets (by wrapping them in a cheese cloth or paper towels or between the palm of your hands), they will still stay soft after doing this. Set the nuggets aside.
- Combine the all purpose flour and one cup of water and stir till smooth and lump free. Divide this thick batter in to 2 equal halves in two wide bottomed bowls/deep dishes.
- In a zip lock bag pour in the corn flour.
- In another zip lock bag, combine the bread crumbs, black pepper, salt and garlic powder (+ any other spices if you are using them). Shake them till well combined.
- Take all the nuggets and add them to one of the bowls containing the flour batter. Toss them well till all the nuggets are well coated on all sides. Toss all the batter coated nuggets into the zip lock bag containing the corn flour/corn starch. Lock the back and give a good shake till all the nuggets are coated with the corn flour.
- Pour out the nuggets into the other bowl/dish containing the flour batter. Toss again till the nuggets are well coated on all sides. Now pour out the nuggets in the bag with the bread crumbs and spices. Shake the bag really well to coat the nuggets evenly on all sides.
- Heat oil in a pan. (There should be enough oil for the nuggets to be completely deep fried); Add the nuggets to the oil and fry them till golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve hot with your favorite sauce/ketchup/chutney.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox