Wishing all my Malayali readers A Very Happy Vishu!
I made this payasam yesterday intending to post the recipe in the evening. When it was time to take pictures our weather God was so kind that a sand storm started ruining our entire photo shoot so we had to take the pictures today :P..... This is a very quick Paal (milk) Payasam which will be ready in half an hour and is ideal for festivals or if you are planning a big party and want to make a large quantity of something quick and delicious.
Paal Payasam / Easy Rice Kheer in a Pressure Cooker
(Recipe from My mom’s hand written recipe collection)
Preparation time-3 mints
Cooking time – 35-40 mints
Serves- 12 -15 persons
Basmati Rice – ¾ cup
Cashew Nuts – ¾ cup, chopped
Sugar – 2 cups
Milk – 1 ½ litre
- In a big pressure cooker mix washed rice, sugar, nuts and milk and stir well until sugar dissolves.
- Close the lid of the cooker and when the steam starts place the weight and completely lower the flame and let it cook for ½ hour.
- When the steam drops down, open the cooker and if the payasam is very thick add little more milk and give it a boil and turn off the heat.Your payasam is ready.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Payasam tends to thicken as it cools down, add boiled milk if you wish thinner consistency.
- You can also add a little cardamom powder at the final stage, though it’s not mentioned in the actual recipe.
- Use a big pressure cooker to make this payasam or it is likely to over flow.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox