Here we are not big fans of green peas....whenever I add green peas to fried rice or to some curry hubby very carefully removes the peas from his portion and keeps it nicely in a cornerof his plate:D... so I usually do not add peas to any curries / rice I make....but recently when I saw this recipe neatly written in my first recipe collection book I remembered how much I loved this curry when amma used to make it at home.... so I grabbed a packet of frozen peas and made this curry for myself.... surprisingly hubby who dislike peas liked this curry and told me not bad and it’s ok to have once in a while :).... This spicy curry goes very well with all kinds of Indian flat bread, flavored basmati rice or even with bread or Indian pav bun.
Aloo Matar Masala Recipe / Potato & Peas Masala Recipe
Fresh / Frozen Green peas – 200 gm (If using dried green peas soak it over night)
Potato – 200 gm
Onion – 250 gm, chopped
Garlic – 5 cloves
Ginger 1x1 “piece, ground
Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
Whole Dry Red Chilly – 10 nos (I used Kashmiri Red Chilly)
Coriander powder -3 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Grated coconut – ¾ cup
Tomato – 1 big, cut in to small pieces
Curry leaves – few
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves – ¼ cup chopped
- Peel and cut potatoes into bite size pieces and keep aside.
- Grind ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add whole red chilly, half of chopped onion, ginger garlic paste, grated coconut, coriander powder, few curry leaves and stir fry until the mixture is light golden brown. When cool enough grind this mixture to a smooth paste.
- Heat remaining oil in the pan and add tomato pieces and sauté 6-8 mints. To this add green peas, cubed potato pieces, and rest of the chopped onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Now add ground masala, turmeric powder, salt and sauté. Add 2 ½ cups of boiling water cover the pan and cook for 15-20 minutes on medium flame or until the vegetables are cooked and the gravy thickens.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapatti or any other Indian flat bread, rice or even with bread.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox