If you like chocolates and bananas you will definitely like this chocolate banana bread :)...had some over ripe bananas in hand and I didn't want to make regular banana bread or cake..... I wanted something chocolaty that day and hence chose to make this chocolate banana bread..... basic recipe is from Joy of Baking and I did some alterations..... Original recipe calls for walnuts, I didn't add any as I don’t like walnuts but I doubled the chocolate chips instead, also reduced the amount of egg and butter than the original recipe… this cake bread turned out perfect......
Chocolate Banana Bread
Recipe Adapted from Joy of Baking
Preparation time ~ 15 mints
Baking time ~ 55-65 mints
Yield ~ 1- 9” loaf
1 ¾cups (230 grams) all-purpose flour
¼ cup (30 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup (170 grams) white, dark, or milk chocolate chips (instead of 1 cup you can use ½ cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp yogurt
¼ cup unsalted butter
3 ripe bananas, mashed well (about 1 ½ cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven rack to middle position. Butter and flour (or spray with a non stick vegetable/flour spray) the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan.
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Let cool and then chop coarsely (if adding).
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, egg, yogurt, melted butter, and vanilla.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients until just combined and batter is thick and chunky.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and sprinkle the top of the bread with coarse brown sugar (optional).
- Bake until bread has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool and then remove the bread from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox