Amma used to make fish pickle but she always used big fishes like King Fish (Motha), Seer Fish (Neimeen) etc.... Recently someone told me Mathi Pickle is very good and last week when I got some Mathi / sardines I tried it with a small batch.... I have adapted the recipe from B.F Varghese’s book and it came outwell..... You can either cut mathi into small pieces or use as a while fish like I did... A good side dish with rice, moru kachiyathu and thoran....
Kerala Mathi (Chala) Achaar / Sardine Pickle
Mathi (Chala) / Sardines – ½ kg
Garlic – 1 pod, chopped
Ginger – 2 inch piece, chopped
Green chillies – 6, cut into rings
Curry leaves- a sprig
Mustard seeds – ¾ tsp
Fenugreek seeds/ Ulluva – ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilly powder – 2 to 3 tbsp (adjust according to the spice level)
Vinegar – 1 cup or more
Salt to taste
Sugar – 1 tsp
Gingelly oil – ½ to ¾ cup
To marinate the fish:
Kashmiri Red Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Pepper powder - ½ tsp
Salt to taste
- Clean and wash fish with salt & vinegar first, then wash well in running water, drain. You can either cube the sardines into small pieces or make 3-4 gashes on each side if you use as a while fish.
- Marinate the fish with chilly powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt, keep aside for ½ hour.
- Heat ¼ cup oil and fry fish pieces until it is crisp on both sides. Keep aside.
- Pour the remaining oil to the pan and splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add garlic, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves and sauté until it is light brown.
- Reduce heat and add chilly powder, turmeric powder. Stir and add vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Add the fried fish and allow it to simmer on a slow fire.
- Bottle when cold.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox