Prawn / Shrimp Roast is a famous Syrian Christian dish which can be prepared very quickly. Prawn is cooked in their own juices along with spices, tomatoes and a small piece of kudampuli (kokum). Prawns absorb all the flavours which give a nice spicy dry dish that goes really well with a bowl of steaming rice and morucurry, Palappam or chapathi
Chemmen Ularthiyathu / Kerala Style Prawn Roast with Tomatoes
Cleaned Prawns / Shrimps – 250 gm
Onion – 1 medium, sliced (can replace with chumannulli / shallots)
Ginger paste – 2 tsp
Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Tomatoes – 2 medium, chopped
Chilly powder – ¾ to 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – ¾ tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Kudampuli / Kokum -1 small piece, soaked in ¼ cup of water
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves, chopped – 1 tbsp (optional)
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan, add sliced onion and fry until light golden brown. Add ginger paste and garlic paste and fry again for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and curry leaves and sauté well.
- Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and pepper powder and sauté until oil separates.
- Add kudampuli along with its soaked water, prawns and salt and sauté over medium heat until prawns are cooked and well coated with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle the garam masala and coriander leaves over the prawns and stir well and remove from heat.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox