Dark Chocolate cake with Butter Icing
(Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens "Cooking for Today Cakes")
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¾cups granulated sugar
⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½cups water
¾ cup cooking oil
1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Grease and lightly flour two 9 inch baking pans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixture on low to medium speed till combined. Beat for 2 minutes on medium to high speed. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350°F /180°C oven for 30-35 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks. Arrange the cake in to desired shape and frost the cake with butter icing or fill and frost the cake with whipped cream.
Icing Sugar/ Powdered sugar-200 gm
Vanilla Essence-1/2 tsp
A few drops of food colouring
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Then add the remaining icing sugar and vanilla essence and beat until creamy.
- Add the food colouring and mix well. 4. Add extra icing sugar to thicken or 1-2 table spoon milk to make more runny if necessary.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox