Recipe Source: children's party cakes & cookies by Martha Day.
Sugar paste icing is wonderfully pliable and can be coloured, molded and shaped in imaginative ways.
1 egg white
15 ml/ 1tbsp liquid glucose, warmed
350g/ 12 oz/ 3 cups icing (confectioners') sugar
- Put the egg white and glucose in a mixing bowl. Stir them together to break up the egg white.
- Add the icing sugar and mix together with a metal spatula, using a chopping action, until well blended and the icing begins to bind together.
- Knead the mixture with your fingers until it forms a ball.
- Knead the sugar paste on a work surface that has been lightly dusted with icing sugar for several minutes until it is smooth, soft and pliable.If the icing is too soft, knead in some more sifted sugar until it reaches the right consistency.
- If you want to make the sugarpaste in advance wrap it up tightly in a plastic bag. The icing will keep for about three weeks.
- The paste is easy to colour with paste colours, add a little at a time using the tip of a knife or toothpick.
- Roll out sugarpaste on a surface lightly sprinkled with icing ( confectioners') sugar or a little white vegetable fat to avoid the paste sticking.
These are my last two years decorated Rich Fruit Christmas Cakes :)
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox