2/3 cup lukewarm milk
1 tbsp active dry yeast
2 tbsp caster sugar
4 cups strong white bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
For the filling:
1 1/2 cups soft dark brown sugar
5 tbsp butter
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup chopped pecan nuts or walnuts
3 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Mix the milk, yeast and sugar and leave aside until frothy. Combine the flour and salt, and rub in the butter. Add the yeast mixture, eggs and lemon rind.
- Stir to a rough dough. Knead until smooth, then return to the bowl, cover and leave until doubled in size.
- To make the filling cook the brown sugar, butter and water in a heavy pan until syrupy, about 10 minutes. Place 15ml/1 tbsp syrup in the base of 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle a thin layer of nuts in each, reserving the remainder.
- Knock back the dough and roll out to a 45x30cm/18x12in rectangle. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, raisins and reserved nuts. Sprinkle over the dough. Roll up tightly from long edge and cut into 1 inch rounds. Place in the muffin cups, cut sides up. Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Invert the tins onto a baking sheet, leave for 5 minutes, then remove the tins. Cool on a wire rack, sticky sides up.
Note: I halved the recipe and baked in a small muffin tin and I got 12 small buns.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox