Bakerella introduced Cake Pops in the blog sphere and I was waiting for an occasion to try it. My little one always wants to cut a cake not only for his b’day but also for his mom and dad’s …So on my birthday I tried these cake pops instead of my usual birthday cake with butter icing which is my son’s favorite (my husband and I are really fed up of eating the same ;)...… I thought I could impress my little one with these cake pops…. He loved the pops but still prefers a theme cake on birthdays so he can blow out the candles and cut the cake ;)….. These moist red velvet cake covered with chocolate is really delicious and we all loved it…. It will be a big hit at kid parties… even adults will enjoy eating them ;)…..you can even use store bought cake, if you are not in a mood to make the cake and crumble it ;) …... Bakerella used candy melts and lollipop sticks which I couldn’t find ….instead I used baking chocolate and bamboo skewers… I cut each skewer into 3 and used it….. Also Bakerella used a styrofoam block to dry the cake pops… I used my colander :).... here is how I made these Cake Pops…
Red Velvet Cake Pops
Half portion of Red Velvet Cake
5-6 tbsp Homemade Mascarpone cheese
150-200 gm Dark or Semi sweet chocolates
1tbsp Rum (optional)
- After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly with mascarpone cheese and rum…. (I used a food processer for crumbling and mixing…. You can use the back of a large spoon or use your finger tips to mix together).
- Roll mixture into small balls (I got 35 cake balls) and place on a tray lined with wax paper.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or you can even freeze it to 15-20 mints to speed up the process.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over boiling water or in the microwave as per directions on package.( I used baby bottle warmer to melt chocolate ~ grate the chocolate and put in to a clean dry glass and keep the glass in the bottle warmer ..…I found it is easier to dip the cake pops into a glass of melted chocolates :)...
- Dip the tip of your skewer or lollipop stick into the melted chocolate and insert in the cake balls. (Insert a little less than halfway.)
- Place them in the freezer for a little while to firm up.
- Once firm, carefully insert the cake ball into the melted chocolate by holding the stick and rotating until covered. Once covered remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess chocolate falls off. Don’t tap too hard or the cake ball will fall off, too.
- Immediately sprinkle the pops with the sprinkles before the chocolate has a chance to set.
- Once the sprinkles are on, put the lollipop stick on the colander or into the styrofoam block to dry.
- Repeat until all the cake pops are complete.
- Enjoy your Cake Pops!
- We like it without sprinkles…but kids will love the look with the sprinkles on top.
- You can even paint the Cake pops like Bakerella did with edible ink pen.
- Be very careful while melting the chocolates…. It will curdle even with a drop of water. Made that mistake twice and wasted two sets of chocolate:(
Sending these Cake Pops to:
The Chocolate Fest over at Cook Curry Nook.
Champa's Bake-off event.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox