Gothambu Payasam / Broken Wheat Payasam
Broken wheat / Nurukku gothambu / Sooji gothambu -1 cup
Jaggery / Sharkara - 400 gms
Water - 1 cup
Thick (first extract) coconut milk - 2 cups
Medium thick (second extract) coconut milk -– 4 cups
Thin (third extract) coconut milk - 5 cups
Cardamom Powder - ½ tsp
Roasted cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Dry ginger powder - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 1tbsp
Cashew nuts - 25nos
Raisins - 2 tbsp
- Pressure cook cleaned broken wheat with 5 cups of thin (third extract) coconut milk for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Melt jaggery with 1 cup water. Strain the melted jaggery and mix with cooked wheat. Cook this mixture till it reaches a thick consistency.
- Add medium thick (second extract) coconut milk and cook on low heat.
- When it starts thickening add the thick (first extract) coconut milk, cardamom powder, cumin powder and dry ginger powder and cook on a low flame for 5 more minutes and remove from fire.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee and fry cashew nuts and raisins separately till golden brown and pour it along with the remaining ghee over the payasam.
- Serve warm.
- I used coconut milk powder, to make a cup of thick coconut milk, add 4tbsp of coconut milk powder to a cup of warm water.
- Payasam tends to thicken as it cools down. If so dilute it with warm coconut milk.
Sending this to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Divya.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox