One more Indian Bread recipe to my collection....Tried this recipe from “The Big Book of Baking”..../ Actual recipe requires the naan to be baked.... But I cooked it on the stove top on a grilling tawa / skillet instead.... Also I added ground coriander leaves, thus my naan have a slight greenish colour; the original recipe calls for 1 tbsp coriander powder.... My picky eater son really loves this Naan with Butter Chicken or Kashmiri Chicken......
Coriander and Garlic Naan
Preparation Time - 30 Min
Cooking time – 5 Min
Ready in 2 ½ to 3 Hours
Serves – 3-4
280 gm / 10 oz Strong white flour plus extra for dusting (can use All purpose flour/ Maida)
1 tsp Salt
2 tbsp ground coriander leaves or 1 tbsp coriander powder
1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
1 tsp easy-blend dried yeast
2 tsp Honey
100ml / 31/2 fl oz lukewarm water
4 tbsp Yogurt
1 tbsp Vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing (I used Ghee)
1 tsp black onion seeds (I didn’t use it)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Sift the flour and salt together into a bowl and stir in the garlic, ground coriander and yeast. Make a well in the center and pour in the honey, water, yogurt and oil. Stir well with a wooden spoon until the dough begins to come together, and then knead with your hands until it leaves the sides of the bowl. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead well for about 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Brush a bowl with oil. Shape the dough into a ball, put it in the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knock back with your fist. Divide the dough into 6-8 equal sized balls. Cover the balls with a cling film for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll out each balls into a teardrop shape.
- Heat grilling tawa / skillet and cook both sides of Naan on a medium heat. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and onion seeds; brush with butter / ghee / oil and serve with your favorite side dish.
In Picture :Coriander and Garlic Naan and Butter Chicken
Sending this to Susan for YeastSpotting
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox