Fish pie was a regular dish amma used to make for special guests whenever she had to serve a two or three course dinner. It is a substitute for fish molie / fish masala/ fish pollichathu and is an easy to make dish which goes well with bread or dinner rolls.... All the preparation can be done ahead of time and baking can be done just prior to serving..... Surprisingly I found fish pie was my mother in law’s favorite also:)...and now it’s my favorite too.... Both the recipes are slightly different and today I am sharing my mother in laws recipe here.... will share amma’s recipe another time :).....
Fish Pie Recipe
Preparation time – 25 mints
Cooking time – 10 mints + 45 mints baking time
Yield – one 8” dish
Serves – 4 to 6
Boil cleaned fish with little salt, remove all the bones and flake/mince with a fork - 2 cups of mince
Finely minced onion – 1 cup
Butter – 4 tbsp
All purpose flour / Maida – 4 tbsp
Milk – 1 ½ cups
Egg -4, separate yolk and white
Lime juice – 1 tbsp
Tomato ketchup – 2 tbsp
Pepper powder – ¾ to 1 tsp
- Heat butter in a pan and sauté minced onion until brown.
- Remove from heat and add all-purpose flour / maida mix well.
- Whisk in milk without any lumps and cook, stirring over medium heat until the mixture thickens well.
- Turn off the heat and add beaten egg yolks and mix very well.
- Into this mixture add fish, tomato ketchup, lime juice, pepper powder and mix well.
- Check salt and if needed add to taste.
- Beat egg whites until stiff in a clean grease free bowl.
- Gently fold egg whites to the fish mixture.
- Grease an 8” round / square oven proof dish, pour the mixture in it and bake in the centre rack of a pre-heated oven 180°C / 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until golden on all sides.
- Slice and serve hot with bread slices or dinner rolls and ketchup.
- Fleshy fish like King fish (Motha), Seer Fish (Neimeen) or any white fish fillet are good for making fish pie.
- Remove all bones of the fish; it’s not nice to bite on fish bones in a pie :)...
- You can either bake it as a whole pie in an 8” dish and serve as slices or can bake in individual ramekins for individual serving too… baking time will vary.
- You can bake this in Conventional Microwave ~ MW+CON 200°C/390°F, power level-30% for 15-20 minutes.
- You can also add finely chopped carrots or any other veggies to the pie mixture, but we like it plain.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox