- Place butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in egg.
- Add flour to egg mixture and mix until just combined. Knead dough into a ball, wrap in plastic food wrap and refrigerate for 45 mints or until firm.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface until 1/8” thick. Using a Christmas tree cutter, cut out cookies and place on lightly greased baking trays. Bake at 180°C / 350°F for 10-12 mints or until pale golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate / frost cookies with icing if desired.
- Be sure to let the icing dry completely before storing. This may take several hours or overnight.
Royal Icing Using Meringue Powder
- In the bowl of your electric mixer or hand mixer, beat the sugar and meringue powder until combined.
- Add the water and beat on medium/high speed until glossy and stiff peaks form (about 5 minutes). If necessary, to get the right consistency, add more powdered sugar or water.
- Add food coloring, if desired.
- To cover the entire surface of the cookie with icing, the proper consistency is when you lift the beater, the ribbon of icing that falls back into the bowl remains on the surface of the icing for a few seconds before disappearing.
- The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as it hardens when exposed to air.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox