Kadumanga pickle is every Keralites favorite and since it’s mango season try to make some. Kadumanga is also very popular during Lent; as we abstain from non-veg dishes pickles are in high demand. In our church Kdaumanga pickle is served along with piping hot Kanji and payar after the long Good Friday service.
You can make this pickle in two ways, either grind ginger and garlic along with spices and sauté like I did or you can add chopped ginger and garlic as it is and sauté. I like thick gravy for kadumanga, so I opted for grinding. Also while making pickle one thing to remember is never to add water to the pickle, if you want to store it for a long time... If you need gravy add vinegar not water please and adjust salt.... I have seen a lot of people store their pickle in the refrigerator and I never liked the taste of refrigerated pickle ;)... So here is how I made Kadumanga pickle....
Kadumanga Achar Recipe / Kerala Spicy Mango Pickle Recipe
Pacha manga / Raw green mango – 500 gms
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder – 3 to 4 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Ginger – 2 tbsp, chopped
Garlic- 1 whole pod or 4 tbsp chopped
Mustard seeds / Kaduku – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds / Ulluva – ½ tsp
Asafetida / Kaayam – ½ tsp
Sugar – ½ tsp
Vinegar – 250 ml / 1 cup (adjust according to sourness of the mangoes)
Curry leaves- few
Gingelly oil / Sesame oil / Nalenna – ¼ cup
Salt to taste
- Clean and remove the skin of mangoes and cut it into small pieces. Add enough salt and keep for 24 hours before making pickle.
- Grind together ginger, garlic, red chilly powder, and turmeric powder using vinegar.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When they pop up add fenugreek seeds.
- Add the ground masala & curry leaves and sauté well.
- Add vinegar, sugar, Asafetida / kaayam and salt (if needed) and boil.
- Next add the minced mangoes and boil for 3-4 minutes. Cool and store in clean dry bottles.
- You don’t need to store this pickle in a refrigerator as no water is added while making.
- Never put a wet spoon in the pickle bottle. If kept well this pickle will last months at room temperature.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox