Like I have said in many of my passion fruit recipe posts, my appa collects and freezes passion fruit pulp for me which I then bring back to Kuwait. Since my son loves passion fruit juice appa always tells me to make juice for his grandson.... alas little does he know that his daughter uses most of the pulp for her baking / desserts or wine than for making squash for his grandson :D.... But this time I made sure to make some squash as I received many requests for the squash recipe... Amma used to make passion fruit squash using this recipe.... Potassium meta bi sulpahte is used to preserve the squash, so that you don’t need to store this syrup in the fridge.... But if you are making small quantities I suggest not to use preservatives and to keep the juice in the fridge and it will lasts months.... Do make this squash if you get hold of some passion fruit and also you can use this squash to make fabulous cocktails with rum or vodka....
Passion Fruit Squash
Passion fruit puree – 5 cups
Sugar – 10 cups
Water – 3 ¾ cups
Potassium meta bi sulphate -1 tsp (optional)
- To make passion fruit puree, cut each passion fruit into half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Either squeeze out the juice through a cheese cloth or lightly liquidize in a blender for a minute or so to separate the black seeds from the jelly. Don’t over blend as the seeds will break up. It’s best to use the whipping blade (round blade) of your mixer blender for this purpose. Pour the mixture through a sieve and collect all the pulp and discard the black seeds. Measure this passion fruit puree and keep aside. It should be 5 cups for this recipe.
- In a large vessel boil water and sugar to make syrup. Keep aside to cool to room temperature.
- Add passion fruit puree to the sugar syrup and mix well.
- If adding potassium meta bi sulphate, mix it with ¼ cup of boiled cooled water and mix it with the squash.
- Pour squash into clean sterilized bottles and store. You will get 3 litres of squash. (If you are not using potassium meta bi sulphate to preserve the squash you have to store the squash in the fridge).
- To serve~ fill ⅓ of serving glass with the passion fruit squash and remaining with water. Mix up well and serve chilled topped with ice cubes.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox