Pork Vindaloo, is a hot and spicy dish popular in Goa and also amongst Christians in Kerala. It’s a very spicy dish and is served on special occasions like Christmas, Easter, engagement and baptism ceremonies. Like in any other recipe there are many different versions of this recipe. Some recipes add fried potatoes towards the end of cooking; I did not do so but if you wish you can add cubed and fried potatoes towards the end of cooking. Vindaloo tastes better when served the following day and it goes well with breads, Palappam, Vellayappam, Sannas and all kinds of Indian breads and rice. And for those who don’t like pork you can substitute with Beef, Chicken or Lamb....
Pork -500 gms (preferably fatty pork)
Onion – 2 large, chopped
Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
Kashmiri chilly powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
Sugar – ½ tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Vinegar – 3 tbsp (+/- according to taste)
Grind to a paste
Ginger – 1” piece
Garlic – 6 cloves
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Cardamom – 3
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon sticks 2x1” sticks
- Cut pork in to 1 "piece cubes, clean and keep aside.
- Grind all the ingredients under 'grind to a paste' together adding vinegar and keep aside.Heat oil in a pressure cooker and sauté onions.
- Add ground paste and sauté well till oil separates and add tomato pieces and sauté well.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder and pepper powder and mix well.
- Add in the cleaned pork, salt to taste leaves and mix well.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of boiling water, mix well, close the lid and cook under pressure for 20 minutes or 2 to 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure drops, open the cooker and boil the curry until oil separates and the gravy becomes thick. (If you are adding potato add cubed and fried potatoes to the curry at this stage).
- Add sugar mix well, taste test and add and more vinegar if needed, very little at a time.
- Serve with breads, Palappam, Vellayappam, Sannas, all kinds of Indian breads or rice.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox