I love to make pickles and even though I don’t eat pickle every day I love to store different types of pickles in my pantry. Recently when the pickle making bug caught me I remembered the Chicken Pickle, Ria posted some time back on her blog. I tried it and we really loved it. I have already made several batches of this and it goes very well with rice or chapathi. You can keep this chicken pickle at room temperature, if you avoid adding water while preparing it. Remember to use a clean sterilized dry bottle to store the pickle and always use a dry spoon to take the pickle.
Chicken Pickle / Kozhi Achar
Boneless chicken - 500 gms, cut into 1” pieces
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Shallots / Chumannulli – 1 cup, sliced fine
Ginger - 2 tbsp, chopped
Garlic - 2 tbsp, chopped
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Salt to taste
Kashmiri Red chilly powder – 2 ½ to 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida powder / Kaayam – 1 tsp
Fenugreek powder / Uluva podi - 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 ½ tsp
Vinegar - ¼ to ½ cup
Gingelly oil / Nallenna – 1 cup
- Wash, clean and drain chicken pieces.
- Add salt and pepper powder and let it marinate for 1 hour. Deep fry till the chicken pieces are crisp and brown in colour. Reserve the pieces.
- In the same oil splutter the mustard seeds. Then add shallots, ginger, garlic and curry leaves and sauté well until golden brown.
- Lower the flame and add the powders and mix well till the raw smell goes.
- Add the deep fried chicken pieces to it and mix well.
- Add vinegar to taste and check for salt and give it a nice boil.
- Turn off the heat and once the pickle is cooled transfer it to a clean dry bottle and use.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox