Even though we don’t eat pickle on a daily basis I love to make and store pickles. I always have a stock of dates pickle and Lime pickle in my pantry. Dates pickle goes very well with Biriyani and also with Aloo Parathas.
Green chillies-15, cut into thin rounds
Garlic – 3 pods, minced
Ginger –2 tbsp, minced
Chilly powder-4 tbsp
Fenugreek powder / Uluva podi-1 tsp
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 2-3 sprigs
Gingelly Oil / Sesame Oil / Nallenna – ¾ to 1 cup
Asafoetida / Kayam - 1/2 tsp
Salt - As needed
White vinegar-2 cups
Sugar – 1 tsp
- Deseed the dates and cut into small pieces.
- Heat ½ cup oil in a pan and fry chopped dates and keep aside.
- Add some more oil in the same pan and sauté green chillies, ginger, garlic and curry leaves and keep aside.
- Now add mustard seed to the remaining oil and when it splutters, add turmeric powder, chilly powder and fenugreek powder and sauté on low flame.
- To this add fried dates and ginger, garlic and chillies and mix well.
- Add sugar, salt and vinegar and bring it to a nice boil on medium flame.
- Turn off the flame and allow the pickle to cool down.
- Store in clean dry bottles.
Sending this to Kerala Kitchen.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox