Either my grandmother or my mom’s sister would keep a packet of chakka upperi for me whenever they make it at home. This time also I got a big zip-lock packet of upperi when I went to Kerala…. So the credit to the hard work behind this upperi goes to my aunt and not me ;)… only credit that comes to me is munching it while typing and clicking photos… here is how she makes this Chakka Upperi/ Jackfruit chips…
Chakka Upperi / Jackfruit ChipsIngredients:
Raw jackfruit / Chakkachula
Salt (mix with little water)
Oil for deep frying
- Clean the raw jack fruit / chakkachula and remove chakkakuru / jackfruit seeds, cut off both the bottom and top edges. (reserve the edges to make chakka puzhakku and store chakkakuru for making delicious side dishes ;)).
- Slice chakkachula / jackfruit into long thin pieces.
- Heat oil in a big pan / uruli.
- Add the jackfruit slices in batches and fry until crisp and golden, stirring the oil occasionally so the chips are evenly cooked.
- Sprinkle a little salt water into the oil before removing the chips with a slotted spoon. Drain in a deep colander or basket.
- Spread the chips out on paper to cool and then store in airtight container.
Chakka upperi can be stored in the fridge for a longer time. When needed you can just microwave it for a few seconds and use.
Sending this to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Divya.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox