Long back soon after our wedding we were settled in a place called Gomia, in Bihar. I am sure many of you may be hearing of this place Gomia for the first time :D... There we had an amazing cook named Alku from whom I learned many basic North Indian recipes for the first time... he taught me how to make perfect paneer at home and severalpaneer recipes too... His main paneer delicacy was this simple paneer tomato curry or chilly paneer as he named this curry.... This spicy basic onion and tomato gravy is a very versatile recipe that goes well not only with paneer, but also with potatoes, cauliflower, chicken, peas, mushrooms etc etc.... Addition of cinnamon powder towards the end of cooking enhances the flavor of this curry.... This curry goes very well with Indian Breads or rice… do check out some of the variations of the same curry towards the end of the post :)....
Paneer Tomato Curry / Cottage Cheese in Tomato Gravy
Paneer / Cottage Cheese – 250 gm
Onion – 1 big
Ginger – 2 x I” piece
Garlic – 4 cloves
Green Chilly -2
Tomatoes – 2, medium, chopped fine
Tomato ketchup -1 tbsp
Chilly Powder – 1 1/2 to 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil as needed
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, chopped
Cinnamon powder – ½ - ¾ tsp
- Cut paneer in to 1” cubes.
- Grind together onion, ginger, garlic and green chilly to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat little oil in a non stick pan and lightly shallow fry paneer, drain and keep aside.
- Into this pan add ground onion mixture and sauté till golden brown.
- Add chilly powder and turmeric powder and sauté, then add chopped tomatoes and sauté till oil separates.
- Add tomato ketchup, salt and two cups of boiling water. When the mixture starts boiling add fried paneer pieces and cook till the gravy becomes thick.
- Finally add cinnamon powder and coriander leaves, stir well and remove from fire.
- Serve hot with Indian breads or rice.
- You can add peas (mattar) along with paneer to make Mattar Paneer.
- Deep fry cubes of potatoes (Aloo) and add along with paneer to the gravy to make Aloo Paneer.
- You can also add pieces of capsicum to the gravy along with paneer.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox