Kozhi Mappas or Chicken Mappas is a typical Syrian Christian delicacy, which is very common in Kerala Christian homes....Chicken cooked in a spiced creamy coconut milk and served with Palappam or Vellayappam is a regular breakfast in Christian families especially on occasions like Christmas, Easter and is also one of the items in ceremonies like Othukalyanam (Engagements), Weddings, Baptism etc... Back home we used to add potato and carrot along with the chicken and these veggie pieces cooked along with chicken in the gravy tastes delicious! You can make different versions of Mappas by substituting chicken with egg, mutton, beef, fish, duck or with vegetables like Broccoli, cauliflower, ladies finger, bread fruit etc…. Chicken mappas can be served with Palappam, Vellayappam, Chapathi, Idiyappam, Puttu or even with plain boiled rice with spiced yogurt....
Nadan Kozhi Mappas / Chicken Mappas / Kerala Chicken Curry in Creamy Coconut Sauce
Preparation and Cooking time ~30-40 mints
Serves ~ 4
Chicken- ½ kg, cleaned and cut into small pieces
Potato – 1 medium, cubed
Carrot – 1, cubed
Onion – 1, thinly sliced
Ginger - 1 inch piece, chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves, chopped
Tomato – 1, chopped
Green chillies – 2 slit
Homemade Meat Masala /Erachi podi/ curry powder – 2 tbsp (can substitute with chili powder – 1 to 1½ tsp, Coriander powder – 2 tsp, Garam masala – ¾ tsp)
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Curry leaves- a sprig
Thin coconut milk – 1 ½ cups
Thick coconut milk – ½ cup
Coconut oil /Refined oil – 1 or 2 tbsp
Vinegar – ½ tbsp
Salt - to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add sliced onion, chopped ginger, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and sauté.
- When it becomes pale brown add cubed potato and carrot pieces and sauté until onion is golden brown.
- Add tomato and sauté well.
- Now add meat masala (curry powder) and salt, stir well and add chicken pieces and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add thin coconut milk and bring to a boil and cook on medium heat until chicken is well cooked.
- Add thick coconut milk and vinegar, stir well and simmer for a minute and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with Paalappam, Vellayappam, Idiyappam, chapathi, bread or boiled rice.
Here is a recipe card for you to keep :)...
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox