Potato Stew is a very easy and simple dish of Kerala that goes well with Appam, Poori, Chapathi, Puttu, Idiyappam, or even with plain bread.... I have posted another Vegetable Stew earlier with strong and spicy flavors with darker hues due to the masalas used in it, whereas this one has a more subtle flavor.... Here is how we make Potato stew in our homes....
Kerala Style Potato Stew / Urulakizhangu Stew
Potatoes -2 medium, boiled and slightly mashed (do not mash it overly)
Onion -1, chopped
Green Chillies – 3-4, slit open lengthwise
Ginger -1” piece, chopped
Garlic – 1 or 2 small cloves, chopped
Curry Leaves - few
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Cinnamon - 1” piece
Black Pepper, whole – 1tsp
Thick coconut milk / Onnampaal – ½ cup
Thin coconut milk/ Radaampaal -2 cups
Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add the whole spices like cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and black pepper and allow to fry.
- Into this add chopped onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and stir fry until they becomes soft and translucent. (make sure not to change the colour of the mixture).
- Add boiled and mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Add thin coconut milk and salt and allow to cook for 10 minutes or until the curry reaches a creamy thick consistency on medium heat.
- Add thick coconut milk and bring it to a boil and add vinegar mix well and serve hot with Palappam, Vellayappam, Poori, Chapathi, Idiyappam, Bread or rice.
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox