Palak Paneer is a popular paneer dish served in road side dhabas and in restaurants. Lightly fried paneer is cooked in a pureed spinach-tomato gravy. Goes well with boiled rice, chapathi or Nan.
Palak Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese in Spinach Gravy
(Recipe adapted from NitaMehta's Paneer All the way)
Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) - 200 gms, cut in to 1" cubes
Palak (Spinach) - 1/2kg (1 bunch)
Onions - 2
Ginger - 1" piece
Garlic - 5 cloves
Tomatoes - 2 medium, chopped
Green chillies - 2, chopped
Red chilly powder -1 tsp
Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Wash and chop palak. Cook with 1/2 cup water for 10 minutes on low flame after the first boil. Cool and grind to a smooth paste.
- Grind onions, garlic and ginger together.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a non-stick pan and slightly fry cubed paneer. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat rest of ghee in the same pan. Add onion paste and cook till onions turns golden and ghee separates.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Cook for 5-6 minutes on slow fire, till ghee separates.
- Add ground palak, add a little water if too thick.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes on slow fire. Add salt.
- Add cardamom powder and fried paneer. Mix well and remove from fire.
- At the time of serving, heat 1 tbsp ghee,add 1 tsp red chilly powder. Remove from fire and pour this over the heated palak paneer.
- Mix well and serve at once with Rice,Chapathi, Paratha or Nan
Did You Enjoy this Recipe?
Enter your email ID below to get
more such recipes in your inbox